Topic III. Our Senses and Instrumentation
Context for this filter:
- B. CONCEPT ACQUISITION
- Validity of a Measure: Is the measure yielding information about the target entity in out in the world, given that the target is something real (i.e., concept is valid).
- Cautionary Quotes: Mistakes, Misconceptions, & Misunderstandings
- C. CONCEPT APPLICATION
- Recognize continuum from direct observation to indirect observation via instruments
- Explain how our ability to use the techniques for validating an instrument above can lead to more/less confidence in a given measurement.
- Identify where challenges in validating an instrument (and associated lack of confidence about what it is measuring) can make policy decisions more difficult.
- Suggested Readings & Reading Questions
- Reading Questions: Do you think you "see" through an ordinary microscope? What about an electron microscope? Does using the word "see" imply that what you see is what is really there?