Topic XV. Heuristics & Biases
Context for this filter:
- B. CONCEPT ACQUISITION
- Representativeness heuristic: Cases in which how representative something is of a category or outcome is used as a proxy /for evaluating how likely the category membership or outcome is (not taking base rates into account).
- Cautionary Quotes: Mistakes, Misconceptions, & Misunderstandings
- Representativeness Heuristic
- "He's a great speaker for a mathematician, and mathematicians are not usually good speakers. People who do theater are good speakers. So he must be a mathematician who does drama."
- C. CONCEPT APPLICATION
- Recognize and resist instances of the representativeness heuristic in everyday and scientific contexts.